Olive Garden’s chicken and gnocchi soup
Olive Garden’s chicken and gnocchi soup ( copycat)
Hello everyone!! and welcome back to another ” Foodie Friday” post 🙂
I had the intention to make another post on Wednesday ( A baby product review) but between the house, the baby, the blog and my YouTube channel which takes up a lot of time ( well my son keeps me the busiest ha ha) I haven’t had much time to make that post but I will try to do it over the weekend.
With that being said, let me tell you I was super excited to make this soup because it’s been my favorite one at Olive Garden for years ( My hubby loves it too) so I was pretty curious to try and make it at home and I am happy to report that it came out DELICIOUS! ( Maybe even better than the one at the restaurant, no I am not trying to brag but homemade food is the best!)
In the one hand I feel funny making this post now in summer but if you like soup like I do, I am sure you won’t mind eating it now, as long as you have AC at home you are good!
I hope you give this soup a try and leave me a comment below if you try it!
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 cup onion, diced
1/2 cup carrots, diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
coarse salt and fresh black pepper
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups chicken broth
1 + 1/2 cups half & half
2 cups cooked white meat chicken, shredded or cut into small bites
1 pound potato gnocchi
3 cups fresh baby spinach, stems removed
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil ( I forgot to add that)
fresh grated Parmesan and/or Romano, for serving
1) Add the olive oil and butter into a cooking pan ( a big one) let it melt and mix well together.
2) Add onions, carrots and celery, a little bit of minced garlic, salt and pepper and stir well and often! ( Cook for 10 mins)
3) Sprinkle the all purpose flour, mix well ( stir often) and cook for 3 mins
4) Now you can add the chicken broth ( one cup at a time and stir) followed by the cream ( or half and half, I used cream and it tasted amazing) stir well!
5) Add boiled or grilled chicken, some salt and pepper for taste ( I grilled mine), take to a simmer and cook for 18 – 20 mins ( It said 20 mins on the original recipe but I found mine was ready in about 17 mins so it is really up to you)
6) Add a teaspoon of nutmeg, this gives it and special touch, more flavor, I recommend it!
7) Cook gnocchi separately ( It varies but they are usually ready in 3 mins) and add them to the soup mix!
8) Add baby spinach and basil ( I forgot to add the basil, but I will definitely will next time)
9) Sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top and..
10) ENJOY!! 🙂
This soup was so rich it was like a main course itself, we had some garlic bread with it and it was YUMMY!
These quantities are good for about 4 portions or so ( I had only one for dinner, my husband had 2, yeah he loved it too and next day we had a couple more portions but the cnocchi and chicken had absorbed the sauce so it was more like pasta with the sauce than a soup)
I think the next Olive Garden recipe I will try to make is their Zuppa Toscana, that’s probably my 2nd favorite!
I hope you guys have a great weekend and remember to watch the video below so the instructions are more clear.
Love you guys and thanks for stopping by!
Don’ t forget to sign up for alerts so you get an email everytime I make a new post and don’t miss out on anything!
See ya on my next post!